Sandia National Laboratories Intern - Logistics Operations Laborer MTC Undergrad Year Round in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking an Intern Year Round - Laborer Union Undergrad
An opening exists in Sandia National Laboratories' Reapplication Team for a highly motivated and energetic undergraduate student to assist the team with our mission of managing excess inventory and seeking out ways to maximize internal reuse of materials.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Support the Reapplication Team in a variety of tasks
- Receive and accept property from Reapplication Drivers using a handheld barcode scanner
- Stage materials in a variety of storage locations by hand and with a forklift
- Prepare surplus property for shipment to our auctions services contractor
- Assist with delivering requested property to locations across the laboratories
- Process computing resources for disposition
- Perform manual inventories of all trackable property
- Assist the Drivers to pick up material as needed during staffing shortages or periods of high ticket volume
You bring the confidence and skills to be eligible for the job by meeting these minimum requirements:
- Currently attending and enrolled full time in an accredited undergraduate program
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.45/4.0
- Ability to work up to 25 hours per week during the academic year, and up to 40 hours per week during the summer
- U.S. citizenship
As a condition of employment, the selected candidate must become a member of the Metal Trades Council (MTC), which requires monthly membership dues or agency fees. The position may require the ability to pass a job placement assessment for performing essential job functions.
Per the agreement between Sandia and the MTC, this position offers preferential consideration to applicants who can demonstrate that they are from economically disadvantaged families as defined by either federal or state agencies. If you wish to be considered for this preference, please submit any supporting documentation with your resume.
- Must be able to work both independently and under supervision
- Must have a strong work ethic and the ability to think critically
- Must be team oriented with good interpersonal communication skills
- Experience with inventory control methods and warehouse operations
- Experience driving vehicles larger than passenger cars (delivery trucks, stake-bed trucks)
- Experience using bar code scanners as part of inventory management
- Prior forklift training and experience
Logistics Operations, 10260, supports Sandia and its customers with transportation and asset management. Logistics core processes are Receive, Move, Manage and Dispose. The Property Management & Reapplication Department, 10264, provides mission-enabling services that promote effective supply chain management through systems that account for property control, utilization, and disposition. Activities include conducting physical inventories of sensitive items, equipment, and precious metals; assisting with government-furnished property under contract; obtaining return on investment for excess property through reapplication and trade-ins; generating cost avoidance through acquisition transfers from other federal agencies; destruction services; and conducting high risk/export control reviews to ensure the nuclear non-proliferation goals of the nation are met. Reapplication, 10264-1, is responsible for movement, identification and tagging, control and utilization, reapplication and disposal of property. This includes movement of materials and equipment to sites at SNL and other locations.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT