Arapahoe County INTERN - Sheriff's Office Victim Assistance Unpaid in Aurora, Colorado
ABOUT* OUR UNPAID INTERNSHIP*
The internship will be for a semester:
Fall: August 2017– December 2017
Minimum of 10 weeks for Fall
Under the direct supervision of the Victim Assistance Coordinator, the Victim Assistance Program Intern position will provide professional and administrative support to Victim Assistance Staff and will provide information and resources to victims of crime.
The following duties are illustrative of the essential functions of the intern position and do not include other non-essential or marginal duties that may be required.
- Provides comprehensive direct services to crime victims while fulfilling responsibilities mandated by the Victim Rights Amendment, including first response with victims of crime in unincorporated Arapahoe County, the City of Centennial, and other jurisdictions as requested always under the supervision of a Victim Assistance Staff member.
- Educates (and assists if necessary) victims or other community members on how to obtain and enforce protection orders.
- Provides crisis intervention in the immediate aftermath of a crime through the investigation and the return of property.
- Aids victims in their effort towards the process of recovery, through intervention and advocacy.
- Functions as a liaison between victims, other community members, and allied professionals with Patrol and Detention Deputies, Investigators, and the criminal justice system in its entirety.
- Provides information and referrals to community programs and resources as well as assists with applications and requirements for Victim Compensation if needed.
- Provides support and case status information until the victim has been transitioned through the court system, and if necessary, for an extended period of time.
- Provides support and resources through the transition to community programs.
- Works closely with victim's families in an effort to help them aid their victimized family member.
- Participates in facilitation of community debriefing and educational support for major incidents.
- Communicates with and acts as a liaison with other Law Enforcement Victim Advocate units, Victim/Witness Advocates in the courts, and/or other allied professionals.
- Maintains accurate client records within the Victim Assistance Database.
- Operates computers and standard office equipment including commonly used computer software programs.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Requirements
Required Education: Currently enrolled in a degree program (graduate or undergraduate) in Human Services, Criminal Justice or other related fields.
Our ideal intern will have the following skills:
- Must possess a caring attitude and be able to control personal emotions.
- Must be able to diffuse hostile situations.
- Must be persuasive in leading victims to treatment.
- Ability to work independently.
- Basic computer skills (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to interact in a professional manner with all staff.
- Ability to apply sound reasoning and decision-making.
- Ability to operate computers and commonly used computer software programs, as well as any other standard office equipment as required by position. Supplemental Information
YOU MUST PROVIDE A CURRENT VALID EMAIL ADDRESS FOR APPLICATION STATUS NOTIFICATIONS
_APPLICANT DISQUALIFICATION FACTORS: _ Applicants are advised that areas for disqualification from further consideration include, but are not limited to, the following:
*Illegal Drug Use. *Applicants who have recent illegal drug usage will be disqualified. Recent drug use includes marijuana within 1 year and all other illegal drug use within the past 5 years. All other illegal drug use will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
*Any felony conviction. *
*Driving Record. *This includes receiving a DUI within the past 5 years, having your Driver's License suspended for any reason within the past 5 years, and having five (5) or more tickets within the past 5 years. Outside activities which may be deemed a conflict of interest Revelation or discovery of assaultive behavior Documented record of prior work performance Unsuccessful completion of any basic requirement Inability to perform the essential functions of the position Police history - type, frequency and nature of contacts(s). Providing false or misleading information during the application / selection process.
It is the policy of the Sheriff's Office to not discuss the reasons why applicants were not selected for hire. There is no flexibility to this policy. Applicants may be notified of their disqualification at any point in the selection process. If you receive such a notice, it simply means that you do not meet our standards at this time. Receiving this notice does not indicate that you are ineligible to apply with other agencies.
_REQUIRED EXAMINATIONS: _ The screening process for any position within the Sheriff's Office may include written test(s), an oral interview, skills test(s) and/or other selection methods designed to measure applicants' ability to perform the essential functions of the job they are seeking. Required examinations also include:
- Polygraph Examination.
- Background Investigation. This will include, but is not limited to contact with the applicant's former employers, associates, neighbors and other pertinent sources. Applicant's military history, school records, police records and driving record will also be investigated. All examinations are conducted by qualified/licensed individuals designated by the Sheriff's Office at the Sheriff's Office expense.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer, who fully supports and complies with ADA. EOE M/F/D/V
This internship announcement does not constitute a contract of employment. Should there be any discrepancy or error in this job announcement, the applicable policy or pay rate will apply. The Sheriff's Office retains the right to amend this job announcement at any time without notice.
Connect With Us!
Salary: $0.00 Annually
Location: 80112, CO
Job Type: Temporary
Department: Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office
Job Number: 2017-IVA
Closing: 7/31/2017 11:59 PM Mountain
Agency: Arapahoe County
Address: 5334 S. Prince Street Littleton, Colorado, 80120.
Phone: (303) 636-1729