COCC Lead Campus Custodian *Internal Posting Only* in Bend, Oregon
Posting Number: 06001161
Position Title: Lead Campus Custodian Internal Posting Only
Posting Date: 06/13/2017
Closing Date: 06/26/2017
Open Until Filled (notes):
Length of Position: 12 months per year
Anticipated Start Date:
August 15, 2017
Position Type: Classified
FTE: 1.0 FTE
Salary Level: Classified Pay Level 13 (The position is included in a classification and compensation study. Changes to its assigned classification, requirements, job duties, and salary range may occur.)
Starting Minimum Pay: $14.77/hr plus exceptional benefits package
Starting Maximum Pay: $18.01/hr plus exceptional benefits package
Hours per Week: 40 hrs per week
Work Schedule: 1:00pm to 9:30pm
Days of the Week: Typically Monday - Friday
Primary Purpose: In addition to performing the duties of a Custodian, serve as lead worker to the custodial staff.
Terms of Employment: • This is a 12-month non-exempt hourly, overtime eligible position at pay level 13 in the Classified pay schedule. • Requires flexible work schedule, which may include evenings and/or weekends for College events as well as travel throughout the district. • Upon hire, must pass criminal and/or driving history; only information relevant to the position will be considered.
Essential Job Functions
- Perform cleaning and maintenance of College buildings. This includes:
a) Dust mop, wet mop, wax and buff floors.
b) Clean chalkboards, collect and dump refuse.
c) Clean and sanitize restroom fixtures, hardware, tile, mirrors, partitions, floors, etc.
d) Replace restroom supplies as needed. This includes clearing stopped toilets.
e) Vacuum carpeted areas. f) Clean light fixtures.
g) Wash windows, clean window sills, and dust furniture as needed. h) Clean carpets and assist supervisor with maintenance of annual carpet and upholstery cleaning program.
- Serve as lead worker: a) Identify the daily work functions that must be accomplished and direct the work of employees by assigning tasks to be accomplished in a timely manner. It is the responsibility of the lead worker to provide instructions for the completion of a task and to ensure that the employee has adequate time in which to accomplish the project. Instructs others on the use of machines, equipment and the mixing of chemicals used in the performance of their work. b) Receive equipment and supply orders from the custodial staff and submit to the Custodial Supervisor. c) After the Custodial Supervisor has placed the orders and received equipment and supplies, the Lead d) Custodian will deliver supplies to the storeroom and/or to the custodians. Perform recycling. e) Direct and schedule work of custodial staff preparing College facilities for use. This may include setting up tables, chairs, etc., for school meetings, games, dances, and other events. Take down after event.
- Perform routine maintenance of custodial equipment and power tools applicable to the trade. Maintain maintenance and repair logs.
- Check that all students are out of the buildings, lights are off, windows are locked, doors are locked, rooms and building are checked for fire hazards, reporting deficiencies to security. Unlock campus buildings as directed. Know location and proper care and use of all fire fighting equipment. In the event of a potential theft, burglary, or other suspicious activities, contact campus patrol or police.
- Perform and assign snow removal activities as directed by Supervisor.
- Perform other essential duties and tasks as assigned.
- Participate in Safety Program.
Marginal Job Functions
- Relieve, assist, or fill in temporarily on other jobs or duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Ability to lead and direct work of custodial staff. 2. Ability to read English language sufficient to read and understand labels and instructions on cleaning compounds, equipment, work orders, and fire extinguisher fighting/safety equipment. 3. Ability to communicate effectively with others, orally and in writing, using the English language. 4. Ability to grasp, lift, and carry, or otherwise move goods and equipment weighing up to fifty (50) pounds. 5. Perform tasks requiring bending, stooping, kneeling, and walking significant distances between and within buildings on campus. 6. Ability to perform duties in confined spaces. 7. Visual ability, corrected, to observe, detect, and report to security signs of building security, including fire/safety hazards. 8. Sufficient manual dexterity in at least one hand to be able to wash, dust, and polish building furniture, equipment, and floors, and to operate electronic cleaning equipment, e.g. floor buffers and vacuum cleaners. 9. Ability to stand and/or sit and continuously perform essential job functions for an eight-hour work shift with standard breaks. 10. Ability to work and cooperate with supervisors and vendors at all levels. 11. Ability to handle occasional contact with parties external to the College, usually involving access to the building or providing information and direction. Communicate clearly with internal contacts. 12. Must be able to use judgment primarily related to use of own time and whether to involve supervisor or emergency services. 13. Ability to work cooperatively with and contribute to a diverse workplace through ideas or experience.
Physical Demands and Other Ergonomic Requirements:
Working and Other Ergonomic Conditions:
Work involves moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises, considerable physical activity. Requires heavy physical work; heavy lifting, pushing, or pulling requires of objects up to 50 pounds. The individual must reach, bend, stoop, crouch, and perform similar functions.
Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions. All individuals are required to be able to perform these movements and essential functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
The goal of Central Oregon Community College is to provide an atmosphere that encourages our faculty, staff and students to realize their full potential. In support of this goal, it is the policy of Central Oregon Community College that there will be no discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, disability, sex, marital status, national origin, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status or any other classes protected under Federal and State statues in any education program, activities or employment.
1. Two years of custodial experience in an institutional or industrial setting.
2. Desire experience as a lead or supervisor in an institutional or industrial setting.
The College recognizes the value of skills and knowledge gained outside of formal higher education and paid employment. Applicants who do not meet minimum qualifications but present other qualifications or experience equivalent to those required will be considered and are encouraged to apply. To qualify under equivalency, applicants must indicate how they qualify under equivalency by responding to the supplemental question presented during the application process.
Special Qualifications: • Bilingual candidates are welcome to apply
Special Instructions to Applicants:
This position is for internal applicants only.
Note that you will be required to upload/create the required documents indicated in this posting at the time you apply. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at application. It is the responsibility of the applicant to upload all required documents, including transcript(s). If you have questions please contact Human Resources at 541-383-7216.
Is a Criminal History Check required? Yes
Is a Credit History Check Required? No
Open Until Filled No