Corning Incorporated INTERN - Materials Engineer in Corning, New York
INTERN - Materials Engineer
Date: Oct 11, 2017
Location: Corning, NY, US, 14830
Req #: 5682
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise inspecialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Scope of Position:
Support internal Engineering, Development and Research projects focused on new and improved materials for Corning including raw materials, glass and ceramics. In this role the individual will be responsible for supporting materials engineering needs on the projects currently underway in the group. The specific project role for the summer will be tailored to match the interests of the individual students.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Responsibilities will include investigating material properties and fit for use in Corning businesses and R&D. Activities may include: experimentation; laboratory simulations; data analysis; materials property measurements; microscopic analyses - optical and SEM – all geared towards fundamental understanding of material properties and applications to Corning businesses
• Second and third year undergraduate students in a Materials Engineering, Ceramics or Glass Science curriculum.
Will also consider current MS level students in a Materials Engineering, Ceramics or Glass Science program.
• The individual must have a high level of technical curiosity,
• Enjoy problem solving, • Work well in teams
• Be self-motivated,
• Possess good technical writing and presentation skills
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
Nearest Major Market: Corning