Indian Health Service Medical Officer (Internal Medicine) Direct Hire, GS-0602-13/14/15 in Few vacancies Parker, Arizona
About the Agency
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
This is a Direct Hire Open Continuous Announcement (OCA) for a Medical Officer (Internal Medicine) for the Indian Health Services. The positions are located at the Hopi Health Service Unit in Polacca AZ, the Colorado River Service Unit in Parker, AZ or Havasu Lake, CA. Qualified candidates with a complete application will be considered for current or future vacancies as they occur. Veterans' preference and traditional rating and ranking of applications do not apply to this vacancy announcement. Applications will remain eligible for three (3) months from the time the application is received.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Responsible for the practice of medicine or direct service to patients involving the performance of diagnostic, preventative, or therapeutic services to patients in hospitals and clinics.
- Prescribe or administer treatment, therapy, medication, vaccination, and other specialized medical care to treat, prevent illness, disease, or injury.
- Order, perform, and interpret tests and analyze records, reports, and examination information to diagnose patients condition.
- Collect, record, and maintain patient information, such as medical history, reports, and examinations results. Experience with electronic health records is preferred.
- Monitor patients' conditions and progress and reevaluate treatments as necessary.
- Explain procedures and discuss test results or prescribed treatments with patients.
- Refer patients to medical specialists or other practitioners when necessary.
- Coordinate work with nurses, pharmacists, social workers, and other allied health professionals in the provision of a variety of health services.
- Occasional Travel
- You may be expected to travel for this position.
- You may qualify for reimbursement of relocation expenses in accordance with agency policy.
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- U.S. Citizenship is required
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
BASIC REQUIREMENT(S): All physicians must meet all three of the following basic requirements:
1.* Degree* - Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy from a school in the United States or Canada approved by a recognized accrediting body in the year of the applicant's graduation. A Doctor of Medicine or equivalent degree from a foreign medical school that provided education and medical knowledge substantially equivalent to accredited schools in the United States may be demonstrated by permanent certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) or a fifth pathway certificate for Americans who completed premedical education in the United States and graduate education in a foreign country.
2. Graduate Training Subsequent to Degree - 1 year of supervised experience providing direct service in a clinical setting, i.e., 1 year internship or the first year of a residency program. This graduate training must by approved by accrediting bodies recognized within the U.S. or Canada.
3. Licensure- Active, unrestricted license to practice medicine in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the U.S.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Your resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector. Physicians must meet the following requirements for the GS-13 grade level and above.
GS-13 Grade Level: 3 years of residency training in Internal Medicine OR have equivalent training and work experience in Internal Medicine that demonstrates the ability to provide patient care of an average difficulty and responsibility. Typically completion of full formal residency training (at least 3 years) required by specialty board or progressive experience equivalent in breadth and intensity. GS-14Grade Level: 4 years of residency training in Internal Medicine OR have equivalent training and work experience in Internal Medicine (e.g., a specialist with 1-2 years of experience beyond residency training) that demonstrates the ability to provide patient care of a very difficult and responsible level. GS-15 Grade Level: 5 years of residency training in Internal Medicine OR have equivalent training and work experience in Internal Medicine (e.g., a senior specialist with 3-4 years of experience beyond residency training) that demonstrates the ability to provide patient care of an extremely difficult and responsible level.
Final Year Residents: Applications will be accepted from applicants who are in their final year of residency and expected to complete their residency training within the next 12 months. Such applicants are required to provide evidence of meeting all position requirements before they can enter on duty.
Only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education may be credited. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: 12/31/2017
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJobs account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the human resources office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant?s responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed isreceived, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Review our benefits
Annual continuing education available at most sites. No-cost malpractice coverage. Loan Repayment Program (LRP): The Indian Health Service (IHS) and the National Health Service Corps (NHSC) have student loan repayment programs for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on agency hiring priorities and availability of funds. For additional information please visit: For IHS - http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment/index.cfm NHSC - https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- Works on a regularly assigned rotation to provide continuity of medical service 24/7 including weekends and holidays.
- This is an open continuous announcement. Qualified applicants will be considered as job opportunities occur and may or may not receive further notification regarding the status of their application.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply early in order to maximize their employment opportunities. Your application will remain in the inventory of tentatively qualified applicants for a period of 3 months from the time the application is received. Applicants that are among the best qualified will be referred to selecting official for consideration as requests to fill vacancies are processed by the Human Resources Office. IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/472373700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Salary Range: $100,957.00 to $225,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0602-13/15
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: US Citizens and Status Candidates
Control Number: 472373700
Job Announcement Number: IHS-17-PX-10020116-DHA