Corning Incorporated Mechanical Development Intern in Hickory, North Carolina
Mechanical Development Intern
Date: Oct 11, 2017
Location: Hickory, NC, US, 28601
Req #: 8102
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise inspecialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Our Optical Communications segment has recently evolved from being a manufacturer of optical fiber and cable, hardware and equipment to being a comprehensive provider of industry-leading optical solutions across the broader communications industry.This segment is classified into two main product groupings – carrier network and enterprise network. The carrier network product group consists primarily of products and solutions for optical-based communications infrastructure for services such as video, data and voice communications. The enterprise network product group consists primarily of optical-based communication networks sold to businesses, governments and individuals for their own use.
Scope of Position:
• Under the supervision of an engineer, assist with projects in the area of optical fiber and cable development
• Conduct testing / experimentation as needed.
• Under the supervision of an engineer, analyze process data and evaluate process capability.
• A mechanical subproject within a larger product development program will be provided that can be designed, built, installed and tested within the time window of the Summer Internship.
• Work under the direction of an engineer to take performance data on new processes/findings and communicate effectively to department.
• Recommend new process modifications and procedural changes to improve process performance or development / understanding of new processes.
• For the subproject assigned, study the scope with help and inputs from the development team.
• Establish and execute the project plan, delivering the ‘product of the project’.
• Test the implemented product of the project and report results to peers at end of internship period.
Travel Requirements (please note if international): • No travel required
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: • Basic work hours are 40hrs/week; 8am-5pm
Required Education :
• Rising BS/MS: MechE, Physics • GPA of 3.5 or above Required Years and Area of Experience:
• Previous Internships or Co-op experience a plus • Hands-on ‘shade-tree mechanic’ or ‘DIY’ experience preferred Required Skills :
• Familiarity with engineering process fundamentals and scientific methodology (e.g. designing and using critical experiments to drive fundamental understanding)
• Data/statistical analysis skills
• Analytical problem-solving skills
• Ability to build relationships, work in teams and interact with all levels of the organization
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to effectively present information
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
Nearest Major Market: Hickory