Capital One Services, LLC Data Science Intern - University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign 17-18 in New York, New York
Job ID: R30586McLean 1 (19050), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Data Science Intern - University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign 17-18
As a Data Scientist at Capital One, you'll be part of a high-performing team that's embracing the latest in computing technologies to unlock opportunities that help everyday people save money and improve their financial lives.You'll help our customers solve their financial services challenges by using groundbreaking techniques. You'll make valuable contributions from day one by continuously learning, engaging in diverse sets of experiences and building close-knit relationships across the company.On any given day, you might:
- Evaluate open source and internally-developed modeling and analytics tools using real business data
- Integrate internal data with external data sources and APIs to discover and implement actionable insights
- Design and craft rich data visualizations to communicate stories to customers and company leadership
We'd love to find someone who is...
1. Intellectually curious. You ask why, you explore, and you are excited to imagine and create new ideas by inventing self-adaptive models or by tapping into unstructured data sources. You love mining data for insights into behaviors, intent and sentiment.
2. A builder. You are passionate about delivering better experiences and better products to our customers and have a deep sense of ownership for your craft.
3. An experimental scientist. You love putting on your lab coat and trying new things, new combinations of tools, techniques and feature engineering approaches even if you sometimes fail.Are you ready to join a community of people like you - ones who embrace customer problems and use their passion and capabilities to make a difference every single day?
- Current student of University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign
- Have obtained or will obtain a Master's or higher between December 2018 and August 2019
- At least 6 months of experience or course work in open source programming languages for data analysis
- At least 6 months of experience or course work in inferential statistics or machine learning
- Master's degree or higher in a quantitative field of study
- Direct experience with either Python or R, plus one other general purpose programming language such as Java or C/C++
- Experience or course work with relational databases
- Experience or course work with large scale data analysis
This is a paid internship.
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Capital One is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; Newark, New Jersey Ordinance 12-1630; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.