Sesame Workshop Fall 2017 Philanthropic Development Intern in New York, New York
About Sesame Workshop
Sesame Workshop is the nonprofit educational organization behind Sesame Street which reaches 156 million children across more than 150 countries. The Workshop’s mission is to use the educational power of media to help children everywhere grow smarter, stronger, and kinder. Delivered through a variety of platforms, including television programs, digital experiences, books and community engagement, its research-based programs are tailored to the needs of the communities and countries they serve. For more information, visit us at www.sesameworkshop.org.
Your Personal Mission We’re looking for people with enthusiastic personalities, articulate communication skills and a detail-oriented mentality, to play a key role within our Philanthropic Development team. An ideal Intern at Sesame Workshop will be excited about working in a multi-tasking environment. An employee working with the Philanthropic Development will attain hands-on experience and develop skills in the areas of fundraising, stewardship, administration, presentation, and database oversight.
What we offer:
• A behind-the-scenes look at the workings of a nonprofit organization • Ability to learn from a tight-knit team of established fundraising professionals • A wide assortment of assignments ranging in complexity • Opportunities to train and grow on your own professional development • Informational interviews with esteemed professionals in multiple departments across Sesame • Competitive hourly salary of $12 and flexible hours • School credit in accordance with your university’s program
Who You Are:
• A matriculated undergraduate student able to work 20hr/week September 4 – December 15 • Have an excellent mastery of written communication • Excellent MS Office skills, especially MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint • A proactive self-starter and a hands-on problem solver • Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize and meet deadlines • Experience with fundraising software desirable, e.g., Salesforce
• Conduct prospect research on foundation, corporate and government funders • Assist with maintaining the integrity of Salesforce database • Provide support in preparation of trips: briefing books, itineraries • Provide administrative support for department • Assist with development of marketing/fundraising materials • Assist with special projects as needed
• Matriculated Student • Must have the legal right to work in the United States • Effective oral and written communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, and computer literacy
Schedule: Flexible schedule Competencies
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
• Initiative: Effectively respond to pressure or crisis situations and acts professionally. Follow through on ideas, assignments and open issues • Detail Oriented: Ability to work on multiple projects that involve a high level of detail • Resourcefulness: Ability to persistently find various resources to complete assignments • Flexibility/Adaptability: Ability to adapt to and work effectively within a variety of situations • Independent Worker/Thinker: Must have ability to work independently and in a team setting • Social Skills: Strong social skills a must; ability to interact -- with professionalism -- with a variety of personalities both internally and externally
We’re a small, tightly-knit team that embraces freedom and flexibility as a core value. Since our start on TV, we’ve become a multimedia pioneer, using everything from radio, books, and videos to the latest in interactive media and technology, efforts that are enhanced through collaborations with our colleagues at the ground-breaking research and innovation lab, the Joan Ganz Cooney Center. Lastly, we look at every opportunity as a chance to build the company we’ve all always wanted to work for and invite you to join us to help children grow Smarter, Stronger and Kinder.
Position Reports To: Office Manager and Coordinator, Philanthropic Development
Please submit your current resume, a recent writing sample, and a cover letter highlighting why you are the ideal candidate for an internship at Sesame Workshop’s Philanthropic Development department.