City of Renton Social Media Intern - Communications in Renton, Washington
This position will run from September 18, 2017*through June 30, 2018 and will be part-time at approximately 15 hours per week. Please note, to be considered for this position a resume and cover letter are required. *
JOB SUMMARY: This is a non-regular, temporary assignment established to provide practical work experience to the incumbent whose interest and intention is working in public affairs, communications, social media, graphic design, multi-media, and/or community outreach. Assist with implementing the City's public affairs programs by utilizing all of the City's communication tools, such as the website, social media channels, printed publications, electronic newsletters, cable television, radio stations and information booths at city events. Complete tasks as directed and contribute through good work habits and positive interactions with others.
SUPERVISION: Reports To: Communications Manager Supervises: None
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborate with City divisions to develop marketing and communications plans that leverage the social media space.
- Provide new and innovative ideas on how to grow the City's online presence.
- Plan, write and schedule social media content.
- Develop a big picture of content across owned and earned social channels, including posts, tweets, status updates, pins, photos, videos, etc.
- On a daily basis write, edit, proofread, and approve content posted on the City's social media channels and website.
- Create, monitor, and grow the City's presence across social media channels, such as Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Nextdoor, YouTube, etc.
- Explore the use of other social media channels including Pinterest, LinkedIn, and other developing platforms.
- Create and monitor measurement tools to provide progress reports. Identify ways to improve on the metrics through testing and new initiatives.
- Monitor comments, postings, and feedback on the City's social media sites and coordinate with appropriate city staff to craft responses to comments when needed.
- Use social media to promote citizen engagement.
- Use social media channels as an effective communications, community engagement, and monitoring tool during emergencies.
- Assist with researching, writing, editing, and delivering communications tactics through the appropriate City communications channels.
- Assist with internal communication initiatives.
- Assist Communications Specialist with graphic design projects using InDesign and Photoshop.
- Take photographs and video at events and meetings on occasion.
- Assist with web postings and updates.
- Assist with community outreach efforts to support the City's goal of building an inclusive city.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to work independently, handle multiple assignments and adhere to deadlines.
- Strong writing and research skills.
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing, or related field; or recent college graduate with a Bachelor's or Master's degree in those disciplines.
- Experience creating social media campaigns for an organization and/or individual.
- Experience using photo and video editing software.
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications, Adobe Creative Cloud, and various social media applications.
- Previous communications related internship experience a plus.
- Valid Driver's License.
- Successful passing of a required background check.
- Ensure effective, professional, and respectful interactions with customers.
- Maintain positive and open communication with coworkers and management.
- Understand and follow direction given.
- Create compelling daily social media content.
- Meet schedules and deadlines.
- Demonstrate appropriate judgment when solving problems and making decisions.
- Maintain regular, punctual attendance and professional appearance.
- Work evenings and/or weekends as assigned.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The following represent the physical demands that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
- Work is primarily performed in an office environment.
- Constantly operate a computer and other office equipment.
- Frequent communication with City employees and customers.
- Lift or move items weighing up to 20 pounds on occasion.
- Noise level in the office is moderately quiet. Approved reasonable accommodation requests will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Salary: $15.00 Hourly
Location: 1055 South Grady Way, WA
Job Type: Intern
Job Number: 2017 COMM - SMI
Department: Executive - Public Affairs
Closing: 8/11/2017 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: City of Renton
Address: 1055 South Grady Way Renton, Washington, 98057.