SC Department of Public Safety International Strategy and Trade Intern in Richland County, South Carolina
The Department of Commerce is looking for a candidate who is detail-orientated, resourceful, organized, self-motivated, and has experience using Microsoft Office. Foreign language skills, international experience, or experience in manufacturing a plus.
The South Carolina Department of Commerce promotes economic opportunity for individuals and businesses. From assisting with the location of new companies within the state, offering grants for community development and infrastructure improvement, to supporting existing industry, the Department of Commerce is here to help new and existing businesses grow. This internship is an opportunity to work for the International Strategy and Trade Division of the South Carolina Department of Commerce. An intern can expect to assist with identifying companies for the South Carolina Department of Commerce to target during international recruitment missions for the purposes of increasing foreign direct investment in South Carolina as well as assisting existing business grow into international markets.
As an intern, you will get to work with a variety of our staff, while working on real projects that impact our state. Our ideal candidate is detail-oriented, creative, and flexible, with a passion for economic development and marketing our state. The candidate also needs to dress in business casual attire daily and be prepared to work in a professional, fast-paced environment.
- Assist staff with presentations for clients
- Participate in team meetings and brainstorming sessions
- Research, identify, and compile prospective companies and decision makers in targeted locations and industries around the world
- Assist with contacting companies to determine interest in South Carolina as a business destination while marketing the state
- Input information and maintain DOC's Customer Relationship Management database
- Assist with events, trade missions, and trade shows by facilitating logistics, preparing marketing materials, etc.
- Conduct research for international companies located within South Carolina as needed
Assist with trade activities and events as needed Minimum and Additional Requirements: Undergraduate or Graduate, any major, excellent verbal communication skills are required.
Strong academic credentials, with a background in business, marketing, and/or sales
- Excellent oral, written, and communication/presentation skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite Office, esp. Excel
- Experience using Customer Relationship Management software preferred
- Organized, with an ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments
Creative and Flexible Additional Comments: We value all of our interns and go the extra mile to make sure you receive a learning experience that fits your career goals. You will become extremely knowledgeable in client relationship-building, a master of CRM Software, and acquire a deeper understanding of economic development strategies. You will also learn how to work in a professional environment and have ample opportunity to network with department leaders and other professionals in a variety of fields.
Graduate students will earn $15.00 per hour.
- Undergrads will earn $12.50 per hour.
- Candidate will be expected to work 20-30 hours per week
- Position will not include benefits.
Job Title: International Strategy and Trade Intern
Agency: Department of Commerce
Opening Date: Fri. 08/11/17
Closing Date/Time: Mon. 08/21/17 11:59 PM Eastern Time
State Salary Range: $26,988.00 - $49,932.00 annually
Agency Hiring Range: Min: $12.50 Max:$15.00
Job Type: Temporary - Part-Time
Location: Richland County, South Carolina
Normal Work Schedule: Monday - Friday (8:30 - 5:00)