U.S. Coast Guard PART-TIME Student Trainee Pathways Internship, WG-3501-1 (Laborer) in Baltimore, Maryland
Apply for this exciting position to support the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) missions of safeguarding our Nation's maritime interests in the heartland, in the ports, at sea, and around the globe.
For over two centuries the USCG has protected the maritime economy and the environment, we defend our maritime borders, and we save those in peril. This history has forged our character and purpose as America's Maritime Guardian - Always Ready for all hazards and all threats.
Applying to this announcement certifies that you give permission for DHS to share your application with others in DHS for similar positions.
Any offers of employment made pursuant to this announcement will be consistent with all applicable authorities, including Presidential Memoranda, Executive Orders, interpretive U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) guidance, and Office of Management and Budget plans and policies concerning hiring. These authorities are subject to change.
This position is located in the Department of Homeland Security, US Coast Guard, Industrial Department, in Baltimore, MD.
Learn more about this agency
You will be required to assist the journeyman all trade mechanics and workers with work that cannot be handled alone.
Being a civilian working for the Coast Guard makes you a valuable team member. Typical duties include:
Being trained to use power and hand tools common to the trades.
Assisting coworkers in the welding, painting, sheetmetal, rigging, pipefitting, electrical or machinist fields.
Assisting in the operation of power machines and also assisting in dry docking operations.
Obtaining tools and supplies and delivering to the work site.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
This vacancy is open to all U.S. Citizens and is being advertised under the Pathways Programs. This vacancy is being advertised under the Internship Program.
For more information regarding the Pathways Programs click here
Pathways Internship Program students must maintain at least half-time course load requirements as defined by the educational institution.
Questions? This job is open to 2 groups.
- #### Job family (Series)
3501 Miscellaneous General Services and Support Work
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Applicant is required to meet the physical requirements of the position.
- Enrollment verification must be submitted at the time of application.
- May require occasional travel, in summer only.
- Works alternate shifts when needed.
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
Conditions of Employment
U.S. Citizenship is required.
Proof of Enrollment is required at the time of application.
Must maintain at least half-time enrollment in an accredited educational institution.
Must complete 640 work hours prior to the completion of degree course work.
Applicants will be evaluated on their ability to perform the duties of the position rather than the length of experience. Eligibility will be determined by the relevance, scope, and quality of all experience and training, regardless of where or how acquired.
Applicants will be rated and ranked based on their knowledge of the following job elements:
Likelihood of success in assignments which require interest, motivation and readiness to do simple work
Ability to handle weights and loads
Ability to follow oral directions
Dexterity and safety
National Service Experience (i.e., volunteer experience): Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
The Office of Personnel management (OPM) must authorize employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule, C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information to the Human Resources Office.
This position does not have a positive education requirement. If you are including education on your resume, report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. See Required Documents section for detail.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet Federal qualification requirements if you can show that your foreign education is comparable to education received in accredited educational institutions in the United States. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence with your application. See Recognition of Foreign Qualifications click here
Applicants will be required to complete questions contained on the Declaration for Federal Employment (OF-306) at the time a tentative job offer is made. At the time of appointment, selectees will be required to update the OF-306. Certain responses on the form could pose a problem with suitability for employment determinations.
If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete an Optional Form 306, Declaration for Federal Employment, and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, or imprisonment.
DHS uses e-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about e-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities at click here
Moving expenses will not be paid.
If selection is made below the full performance level, the incumbent may be promoted up to the target grade without further competition, if all legal and regulatory requirements are met and when recommended by the supervisor. However, promotion to the full performance level is not guaranteed and is dependent on successful performance at the lower grade level(s).
All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit.
For Veterans' preference eligibility, visit Veterans' Employment Resources. Veterans, Peace Corps/VISTA volunteers, and persons with disabilities possess a wealth of unique talents, experiences, and competencies that can be invaluable to the DHS mission. If you are a member of one of these groups, you may not have to compete with the public for federal jobs. To determine your eligibility and to understand the documentation that would be required with your application, click on the links above and contact the Servicing Human Resources Office listed at the bottom of this announcement.
More than 1 selection may be made from this announcement if additional identical vacancies in the same title, series, grade, and unit occur within 60 days from the date the certificate was issued.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for the application and hiring process, please contact 410-636-3593. Decisions on granting reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. Visit Reasonable Accommodation
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
The U.S. Coast Guard system simplifies the Federal application process by replacing the former JOB ELEMENT statements with on-line self-assessment questions. Your resume and responses to the self-assessment questions are an integral part of the process for determining your qualifications for the position. Therefore, it is important to support your responses to the self-assessment questions by providing examples of past and present experience in your resume. To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Q - Nonsensitive
- Required Documents
- Your resume
- Your responses to the online questionnaire
- If you are qualifying based on education, submit a legible copy of your unofficial college transcript from an accredited college/university. The transcript copy must reflect the college/university name and/or logo. Applicants are highly encouraged to proactively order a copy of their official transcripts to be delivered to their home address so transcripts will be readily available if selected. If selected, you will be required to provide official transcripts prior to establishing your start date. Foreign education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet federal qualification requirements if you can show that your foreign education is comparable to education received in accredited institutions in the U.S. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence with your application. See Recognition of Foreign Qualifications click here.
- If you are claiming special priority selection rights under the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), you must submit a copy of your agency notice, most recent performance rating and most recent SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, noting your current position, grade level and duty location. If you have never worked for the federal government, you are not ICTAP eligible. To be considered eligible, you must be placed in the well-qualified category for this position. Please see ICTAP eligibility.
- If you are claiming veterans’ preference, please submit the following documents. Please see Feds Hire Vets for detail. a. Veterans claiming 5 point veterans' preference must submit legible Member 4 Copy DD214(s) indicating Character of Service. 5-point preference will not be granted if appropriate documentation is not submitted with your application. b. 30% Disabled Veterans must submit their Member Copy 4 DD-214(s), which includes Character of Service, and VA Disability Letter with percentage of disability OR documentation of disability determination from a branch of the Armed Forces which reflects a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more. c. Other 10 point Preference Eligibles must submit applicable Member Copy 4 DD-214(s), which includes Character of Service, and provide documentation of your other 10 point preference. If claiming 10 point preference, you must provide required documentation described on the back of the SF-15 which proves that you are entitled to such preference. 10-point preference will not be granted if appropriate documentation is not submitted with your application. d. If you are a current active duty military member who does not have a DD214 and is claiming preference under the Veterans Opportunity to Work (VOW) Act, you must submit certification from the Armed Forces indicating that you will be discharged or released under honorable conditions from active duty within 120 days from the date on the certification. Certifications must be on letterhead from the appropriate military branch and include the following information: military dates of service and expected discharge or release date, character of service, military rank, type of discharge and date when terminal leave will begin. Certifications must be signed by, or by direction of military members’ military personnel offices, unit commanders or higher headquarters.
- OPM must authorize employment offers for former or current Political Appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C or Non-Career SES employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information. Submit proof of your former or current status, such as your SF-50. Please see here.
All documentation as outlined above must be received by the closing date of the announcement. If you are unable to submit your documents electronically, you may fax or mail the documents. A fax cover sheet will be provided to you from the system, with fax number and instructions to transmit the requested documents. The required documents will also be accepted by mail and must be received by the closing date of the announcement. The mailing address is U.S. Coast Guard, Attn: Office of Civilian Human Resources (Jobs), CG-1211NE, 2401, Hawkins Point Road, Bldg 1, Mail Stop 4, Baltimore, MD 21226.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
Applications (resume and job specific questions) for this vacancy must be received on-line by 11:59 p.m ET on the closing date of the announcement.
There are several parts of the application process that affect the overall evaluation of your application Resume Responses to on-line core questions Responses to on-line self-assessment Supporting documents, if requested High self assessment in the vacancy questions that is not supported by information in your resume and/or supporting documents may impact you or eliminate you from consideration.
Applicants who are claiming 5-point tentative preference are encouraged to submit a DD-214 Member 4 copy at the time of application. Claims for 5-point tentative preference will only be granted based upon documentation provided or if the claim is substantiated in your application. If you are unable to provide the necessary supporting documents for veterans preference at the time of selection it may impact your selection eligibility. Applicants who are claiming 10-point veterans preference are required to submit proof of eligibility. Refer to "Required Documents" section of vacancy announcement.
If applying on-line poses a hardship to you, the Help Desk listed on the announcement will provide assistance to ensure that applications are submitted on-line by the closing date. You must contact the Help Desk prior to the closing date of this announcement to receive assistance. Hours of operation: Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. ET, excluding Federal holidays.
Agency contact information
USCG Applicant Support
United States Coast Guard 2401 Hawkins Point Rd. Mail Stop #4 Baltimore, Maryland United States
Learn more about this agency
Once the announcement is closed, we will conduct an evaluation of your application and qualifications to determine your ranking. The most qualified applicants will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration. To check the status of your application, log on to your USAJOBS account, click on "Application Status," and then click "More Information." You may also opt to receive email notifications of application status changes by logging into your USAJOBS account and enabling notification alerts.
For more information on applying for federal employment click here
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/499745100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 05/17/2018 to 05/31/2018
Salary: $16.38 to $19.10 per hour
Pay scale & grade: WG 01
Work schedule: Part-Time - This is a part-time position.
Appointment type: Permanent - This is an excepted appointment.