Great Lakes Cheese Continuous Improvement Intern in United States
Who is Great Lakes Cheese?
Great Lakes Cheese is celebrating over 50 years of Excellence in Cheese Making! Since 1958, Great Lakes has grown rapidly by acquisition, plant expansions, investment in the best technologies for production and distribution – and by setting high industry standards for service. Currently, Great Lakes serves the nation’s retailers and food service operations with nine strategic facilities across the U.S. We earn this proud tradition of award-winning quality and customer satisfaction every day.
To be a leading manufacturer and supplier of consistently high quality cheese products. We will achieve this through our commitment to outstanding customer service, innovation, dedicated employees, and business partnerships. Our environment of open communication, integrity, and mutual respect encourages everyone to go beyond what is expected. We believe that profitability is a success only if the customer, the suppliers, the employees, the communities, and the company benefit.
Benefits of working at GLC:
Great Lakes Cheese’s success hinges on the dedication and professionalism of our people. From our inception, we have created and maintained an environment for employees to learn, develop their careers and enjoy mutually rewarding relationships, recognition and earnings. As we have grown throughout the years, we have kept the small company, family feel, even as a billion dollar organization. Point in case, our employees participate in an ESOP Plan, where they own approximately 20% of the company. In addition, we offer competitive benefits that include Medical, Dental, Life and Long-term Disability Insurance, 401(k) Plan, an Employee Assistance Program and tuition reimbursement.
The Continuous Improvement internship will provide an opportunity for a student to use their educational training, in conjunction with a “hands on” experience at Great Lakes Cheese, to build their skill sets in cheese manufacturing management. The length of the internship will be developed to accommodate the student’s availability during his/her summer break and is anticipated to be a 10-12 week program. The internship will be conducted at Manchester, TN and will require the student to be located within reasonable commuting distance.
- Assigned an independent project (s) in the area of cheese packaging to focus on improved production line efficiencies and cost reduction opportunities.
- Notify management of any ideas or areas of improvement to help us increasing productivity.
- Always work in a safe manner following internal procedures.
- Individual must be capable of executing project assignments, in a team based environment, under limited supervision.
- Present his/her project findings/observations/analysis to the management team at the end of the program.
- All GLC employees are expected to perform any assignment or job task according to the stated safety policies and procedures.
- All GLC employees are expected to produce our products in a manner that exceeds the quality and value expectation of our customers and consumers by adhering to Good Manufacturing Practices, Policies and Procedures outlined in our Safe Quality Food Program.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the manager.
*Requied Education, Experience and Skills *
- Currently pursuing a degree in Engineering or related field
- Sophomore, Junior, or Senior with at least 2 years of related coursework in an Engineering curriculum.
- CAD drawing experience.
- GPA > 3.0.
- Work is performed in an office setting.
- Occasional exposure to industrial operations including: temperature extremes from approximately 35ºF to 100ºF; noise levels in excess of 85 dB; moisture and moving machinery.
Great Lakes Cheese is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.